The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill 2019 has been passed by the Parliament. It was passed by the Rajya Sabha on 26th November, 2019 and already passed by the 17thLok Sabha on 5th August, 2019.
The proposed Bill has following provisions: -
- Non discrimination against a Transgender Person in educational institutions, employment, healthcare services etc.
- Recognition of identity of Transgender Persons and to confer upon them right to self perceived gender identity.
- Provision of right of Residence with parents and immediate family members.
- Provision for formulation of welfare schemes and programmes for education, social security and health of Transgender Persons.
- Provision for National Council for Transgender Persons to advice, monitor and evaluate measures for the protection of their rights.
The Bill will make all the stakeholders responsive and accountable for upholding the principles underlying the Bill. It will bring greater accountability on the part of the Central Government and State Governments/Union Territories Administrations for issues concerning Transgender persons.
The Bill will benefit a large number of transgender persons, mitigate the stigma, discrimination and abuse against this marginalized section and bring them into the mainstream of society. It will lead to greater inclusiveness and will make the transgender persons productive members of the society.
(Release ID: 1593871)