Ministry of Coal
Posted On: 01 AUG 2018 6:01 PM by PIB Delhi
Coal companies have taken following steps to check theft / pilferage of coal:
- Radio Frequency Identification Device (RFID) based Boom Barriers and closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera at weighbridges, General Packet Radio Services (GPRS) based vehicle tracking system with geofencing, CCTV camera at strategic locations of all mines have been installed.
- First Information Reports (FIRs) are lodged by the Colliery Management and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) with local Thana, whenever such incidents are reported. A close watch on the activities of criminals is being kept by CISF.
- Interaction and liaison with District officials at regular intervals and holding meeting with Officials of the State Administration.
- Challans for coal transportation by trucks outside the district are being issued after fixing hologram and putting signatures of authorized officials of CISF to check pilferage.
- Armed Guards have been deployed at Railway sidings.
- Escorting of coal rakes in coordination with Railway Protection Force (RPF) upto weighbridge, is arranged in pilferage prone areas.
- Surprise re-weighment of coal loaded trucks is done at weighbridges.
- Surprise checks / raids are conducted by flying squads of CISF/security department.
- Regular patrolling is conducted in and around the mine including over burden (OB) dumps.
- Joint patrolling with local police is also being carried out in pilferage prone areas.
- Check posts have been established at entry / exit points where all coal laden vehicles are physically checked.
- Security at coal dumps has been strengthened by fencing, proper illumination and round the clock guarding.
- Coal Mine Surveillance & Management System (CMSMS) has been launched which is a web GIS application through which location of sites for illegal mining can be detected. All coal leasehold boundaries and also the coal block boundaries (CIL, non-CIL and Captive) have been plotted on this system.
This information was given by the Minister of Railways, Coal, Finance & Corporate Affairs, Shri Piyush Goyal in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.
(Release ID: 1541070)