Jansankhya SthirthaKosh (JSK), an autonomous body under Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, implemented the following schemes:
- Prerna Scheme (for delaying marriage, childbirth and spacing),
- Santushti Scheme (Public Private Partnership for sterilization services),and
- National Helpline (for information on family planning).
The JSK has been discontinued on 08/02/2019 vide the cabinet decision on 07.02.2018 and various schemes for population control are being supported under National Health Mission;
STEPS BEING TAKEN BY THE GOVERNMENT TO CONTROL POPULATION GROWTH:
- Mission ParivarVikas- The Government has launched Mission Parivar Vikas for substantially increasing access to contraceptives and family planning services in146 high fertility districts with Total Fertility Rate (TFR) of 3 and above in seven high focus states. These districts are from the states of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Assam that itself constitutes 44% of the country’s population.
- New Contraceptive Choices- New contraceptives viz. Injectable contraceptive and Centchroman have been added to the existing basket of choices.
- A new method of IUCD insertion immediately after delivery i.e. post-partum IUCD (PPIUCD) has been introduced.
- Redesigned Contraceptive Packaging – The packaging for Condoms, OCPs and ECPs has now been improved and redesigned so as to increase the demand for these commodities.
- Compensation scheme for sterilization acceptors – Under the scheme MoHFW provides compensation for loss of wages to the beneficiary and also to the service provider (& team) for conducting sterilizations.
- Clinical Outreach Teams (COT) Scheme – The scheme has been launched in 146 Mission ParivarVikas districts for providing Family planning services through mobile teams from accredited organizationsin far-flung, underserved and geographically difficult areas.
- Scheme for Home delivery of contraceptives by ASHAs at doorstep of beneficiaries.
- Scheme for ASHAs to Ensure spacing in births.
- Scheme for provision of Pregnancy Testing Kits in the drug kits of ASHAs for use in communities.
- Family Planning Logistic Management and Information System (FP-LMIS): A dedicated software to ensure smooth forecasting, procurement and distribution of family planning commodities across all the levels of health facilities.
- National Family Planning Indemnity Scheme (NFPIS) under which clients are insured in the eventualities of death, complication and failure following sterilization.
- Ensuring quality of care in Family Planning services by establishing Quality Assurance Committees in all states and districts.
- Appointment of dedicated RMNCH+A counselorsat high case load facilities.
- Improved Demand generation activities through a 360 degree media campaign.
The Minister of State (Health and Family Welfare), ShAshwini Kumar Choubey stated this in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha here today.
(Release ID: 1592172)